Prev: Re: Initiative - was RE: Piquet Next: Re: Initiative card draw

Re: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@w...>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:31:38 -0500
Subject: Re: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

On 29 Sep 2004 at 17:09, The GZG Digest wrote:

> From: "B Lin" <lin@rxkinetix.com>
>
> 1) Howard was a known negative factor and Hooker attempted to
compensate
> by moving Reynolds to cover the flank, in Piquet you have no idea
which
> units you are going to be able to move until you get some initative
points
> to do something.

You don't know _when_ those units will be able to move, but you do know
that once a "move" card comes up you can move the units you want to
move.
The question here is "when".

> You can not compensate for a known break in the command, because there
> is no fore knowledge of the weak points in your command structure.
> When you do send orders to any unit, they will execute your orders,
not
> 1-3 turns from now, but this turn.

Hooker compensated for a known break in command by issuing orders to
Reynolds and to Howard. He expected them to be carried out quickly, but
they were not. So in real life Hooker issued the orders immediately but
didn't know when they would be carried out. In Piquet you don't know
when
you can issue the orders, but they will be carried out as soon as you
are
allowed to issue them.

I admit that there is a subtle difference here, one that usually
requires
written orders and mechanisms for slowing down those orders to play
properly on the game table. I don't like written orders games. Piquet,
my mind, still does a suitable job (for me, anyway) of representing this

disconnect between when I want the orders to be resolved and when they
are actually resolved.

> Piquet's initiative is another example.  It generates results similar
> to historical results, but how it does it doesn't necessarily
correlate
> with how those results were achieved in the historical example.

I guess this is where our main point of contention lies. I'm more
interested in whether or not Piquet comes up with results similar to
history. I can always explain it away later, if I feel the need to
justify the results. I don't need them to come up with those results
exactly as they did in real life.

For one thing, I _know_ how Chancellorsville worked out. I know that
discretionary orders to Sedgwick are not a good idea, so I would be
working with information unknown to Hooker (Sedgwick was raised to corps

command by Hooker, and Chancellorsville was his first battle as
commander
of Sixth Corps). If the rules are too accurate, I can use my knowledge
of
the battle to come up with ahistoric results. In Piquet I often have to
develop battle plans around uncertainties, the same uncertainties that
the historical commanders had to deal with. Due to the random nature of
the initiative system I will be unable to predict exactly what will
happen, just like Hooker couldn't predict the events that happened to
him
at Chancellorsville.

---

Allan Goodall	    http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@att.net   agoodall@hyperbear.com

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
 - Isaac Asimov, "Foundation"

Prev: Re: Initiative - was RE: Piquet Next: Re: Initiative card draw