Prev: RE: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long) Next: Re: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long)

RE: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long)

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:36:17 +1000
Subject: RE: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long)

G'day,

> Has anyone done a good Sci-fi version of Piquet?
> I really like Piquet, but I really didn't like the
> WWII version.

Nothing published but a few homegrown conversions kick about I think.
Grunt-game wise Derek and I have had a few ideas but while fun they're
too embryonic to hand over to anyone else as yet.

> I don't know if anyone has read it, but the book Guns,
> Germs and Steel has an excelent account of the effects
> of technology on combat between the Spanish and the
> Inca's. (and also the effects of being attacked by
> something you really just don't understand).

I've read the book and while he makes a few valid points his rather
lopsided discussion of bioregionalisation and then the ignorance
displayed over the technologies and culture possessed by the Australian
aboriginals and Polynesian peoples is such that I have always been wary
(maybe unjustifably) of the accuracy of other sections of his book.

Cheers

Beth

Prev: RE: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long) Next: Re: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long)