Prev: Re: GMS was Re: DS3 design (long) Next: DS3 Weapons was Re: DS3 design (long)

DS3 Artillery was Re: DS3 design (long)

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:29:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: DS3 Artillery was Re: DS3 design (long)

--- John K Lerchey <lerchey@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, J L Hilal wrote:
> > 10)  Artillery is understrength in DS2.  Specifically in:
> > i) munition and submunition types and capabilities
>
> Agreed.
>
> > ii) lack of precision guided munition types; including those that
> > need target designation, those that make course corrections to
> > target coordinates, and those that seek targets autonomously.
>
> But in this case, I would argue that the munitions should then have a
> FCS value which is applied against the targets ECM capabilities.

I'd say "System" or "Guidance" rather than "FCS", just to distinguish
it from the vehicle system, but sure.  There are two issues which can
be resolved seperately or combined:
a) does the projectile recognize the target as a target?
b) does the projectile successfully attack the target?

For a), it might be possible to have to check against several possible
targets which are all in the sensor basket (area of effect) in some
order of preference, attacking the first successful target lock.  In
the case of a target designated system, this might be replaced with
some sort of roll by the designating element to successfully designate
the target.

For b), this might resemble either a to-hit roll or a GMS roll.
arguements can be made for either one.

> > iii) assumption of vulnerability to counterbattery tracking.  A
> > unit firing smart or brilliant munitions might not even have to
stop
> > to fire.
>
> The kind of don't now.  Artillery units can move then fire or fire
> then move, just like tanks.  <shrug>

But under the curent system, if they MOVE-FIRE, then they are subject
to counterbattery.  I am saying that a vehicle with the right equipment
and technology should be able to MOVE-FIRE (interpreted as firing while
under way) and be immune to any non-seeking, non-designated CB fire.

> > iv) low ammunition capacity: with designated or autonomous
> > munitions, a single ammo-marker may account for enough shells to
> > make single-target attacks for the entire game.
>
> I like the artillery loads system. :)

I assume this means that you like the current system.  What I am saying
is that artillery with an ammunition marker of a type that uses
designated targets or is autonomous seeking, when firing "harrassing
fire" each of the handful of rounds (which don't count as expending the
ammo marker) can "plink" vehicles.  A steady drizzle of HE is
harrassing; the same drizzle of guided projectiles will wipe out your
armor company.

Prev: Re: GMS was Re: DS3 design (long) Next: DS3 Weapons was Re: DS3 design (long)