Prev: Club100 ghurka's: NAC weapons types/models? Next: Re: DS3 weapons was RE: (DS): Systems per Class

Re: Looking 4 feedback on FT Weapon System

From: Oerjan Ohlson <roger@f...>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:01:17 +0100
Subject: Re: Looking 4 feedback on FT Weapon System

[forwarded by Roger for Oerjan]

DOC Agren wrote:

>Viggen Heavy Beam Spinal Mount
>Mass 12 point cost 36
>
>Limited to a single fire arc facing.
>
>Has 2 different fire set-up which the ship can switch at end of each
turn.

>1st Allows it Reach out per (More Thrust AA Battery) range bands [0-18
=
>3d6 /19-36 = 2d6 /37-54= d6] hitting per Beam Weapon with the rerolls,
>then for each hit(DP) rolls a second d6 and apply damage rolled (no
>rerolling if a 6) -1 per level of shielding ship has.	So a ship with
level 2
>shields would have d6-2 damage, so it possible to hit at range and
still do
>nothing to an enemy.

IOW a Class-3 Graser which applies the target's screen level to the
damage
roll as well as to the to-hit roll. I'd start by giving it the same MASS
as
the G3 (ie. 24) but drop the cost to 3xMASS to compensate for the poorer
anti-screen performance; the unusual threshold/DCP rules for this weapon
might reduce the Mass a little further.

>2nd Allows has it act as a pair of standard B3 Beams

Why would anyone want to use this "2xB3" mode at all? The only times it
is
even marginally better than the "G3" mode is when the target has level-2
screens *and* the range is either 0-12mu or 18-24mu; at other ranges,
and
against weaker-screened targets at *any* range, the G3 mode inflicts
more
damage.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Club100 ghurka's: NAC weapons types/models? Next: Re: DS3 weapons was RE: (DS): Systems per Class