Prev: Re: Pitiful 15mm wail (was: Re: Who wants more club100 ghurka's? Next: Re: DS3 design (long)

Re: DS3 design (long)

From: David Brewer <davidbrewer@b...>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:54:28 +0100
Subject: Re: DS3 design (long)

J L Hilal wrote:

> --- KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:
[...]
> > There are a lot of factors that stop tanks and other weapons from
> > continuously moving or shooting at flat-out rates on the
battlefield,
> > thus the argument about the 50 shots or tank speeds is actually
> > wrong.
> >

> Although 50 is, indeed, an exagerated figure, 1 shot per 15 minutes is
> also ridiculous.  There are many historical examples that show the
fire
> rate of DS2 is pitifully low.

Perhaps this is a problem of the game's command-and-control
mechanics. DS2 is still basically an "I go - You go" system where
every unit gets an identical amount of initiative per turn.
Whether we say a turn is 5 or 15 minutes it's still a
"hurry-up-and-wait" handwave that says that every unit does the
same amount of hurrying and the same amount of waiting in each
turn: that everybody effectively moves in slow motion.

Reducing the length of a turn doesn't necessarily make things
better. Just because some platoons historically have acted at an
optimum efficiency shouldn't mean that all units will always
operate at optimum efficiency.

A game like "Crossfire" (WW2 infantry) gives a unit with
initiative more initiative if it suceeds in what it does.
Sometimes one unit can "hurry-up-and-hurry-up-and-hurry-up" while
other units just "wait".

--
David Brewer

"The mentally disturbed do not employ the Theory of Scientific
Parsimony: the most simple theory to explain a given set of
facts." - P.K.Dick (from VALIS)

Prev: Re: Pitiful 15mm wail (was: Re: Who wants more club100 ghurka's? Next: Re: DS3 design (long)