Prev: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands' Next: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'

Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:52:46 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'

Indy:
***
However, I do have to say that I am kinda partial to plunking down
a heavy metal hull on the table before my opponents. ;-)
***

;-> You can still get the same feeling with a really massive resin beast
such as the EE(tm) superheavies. Sure wish I could have gotten a Warzone
Grizzly...

Still, the point is you aren't plopping down something suspended on a
thin,
plastic rod.

Alan:
***
Leaving dogs, toddlers etc in cars in the car park in summer, even for
10
minutes, has led to all too many tragedies. :-(
***

And has the public in the US has to be reminded every summer here, too.
=>-;

***
Trouble is, if you just leave your plastic stuff on the back seat, and
drive
on a hot summer's day, it can get badly warped just by direct sunlight.
That's
what happened to my gear.
***

Makes you wonder if the idea of black plastic gun cases as transports
are
such a great idea.

However, concerning Tony's suggestion of fridge units: Oh great,
something
else to drain the battery if I'm careless. Natch, that really doesn't
hit
until next winter when a worn out battery makes itself known.

Laser:
***
Not just clear--nearly any plastic will degrade from UV.  I'd guess that
flight bases are made mostly from styrene, which degrades quite quickly.
***

I defer to your knowledge, but it was my understanding that the dyes in
plastics are as much to retard UV damage as to be pleasing to the eye.
Not
that retard means negate by any stretch of the imagination.

Tony:
***
I'm of the mind that the resin ones are actually better - the corners
are
sharper in resin, metal castings are always slightly rounded off. The
air
pockets are inevitable in resin castings (unless you have the
super-expensive casting kit of outfits like Forge World) but I think
ours
are kept to an acceptable minimum.
***

Some people get SOOOOO defensive. ;->=

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands' Next: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'