Prev: RE: [OT] Completely Next: Re: [DS2} Vehicle Design

RE: [DS2] Vehicle Design

From: Brian B <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:29:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [DS2] Vehicle Design

Brendan Robertson wrote:

> Could try a different scale, but there could be
> scaling issue with
> weapons.

To say the least.  But I'll address that later.

> Total Capacity = (Size^2)*5
> Weapon Capacity = (Size^2) * [2 for fixed, 3 for
> turretted].
> Armour Capacity = Highest AV^2

This is another plausible construction system, and one
someone might want to explore using.  I can see a
couple of benefits and drawbacks.  One benefit is that
since the ratio of class to capacity is a curve
instead of a line, it allows for a greater range of
vehicle "sizes".

One drawback of this is that this means that each
class will have to cover more of its individual
section of that range (minor).	Another drawback is
that it breaks the relationship between vehicle size
and weapon size.  With this system, only in a vehicle
sporting a weapon of the same class as itself will
that weapon take up the same percentage of the
vehicle's capacity as it does now. Anything else will
be skewed -- and the closer to the extremes you get
(Classes 1 & 5), the worse the skew(significant
drawback depending on your POV).  That's inherent in a
curve.

Either formula will work, depending on what you want
to simulate.  But it's a trade-off.  And there's one
other formula to consider:

IIRC, the original complaint about the linear formula
was the issue of "Diminishing Returns", so to speak,
that is, the fact that while a class 2 is twice the
capacity of a class 1, and a class 3 three times a
class 1, a class 3 has only 50% more capacity that a
class 2, and the ratio goes down from there.  (if this
was noty the complaint, I apologize).  And while the
formula Capacity = (Size^2)*5 increases, capacity, it
does NOT change this problem at all.  Let's take a
look:

Original formula:
Capacities: 5,10,15,20,25

Class
2 has 200% capacity of class 1
3 has 300% capacity of class 1, but only 150% capacity
of class 2
4 has 400% capacity of class 1, but only 200% capacity
of class 2 and only 133.3% capacity of class 3
5 has 500% capacity of class 1, but only 250% capacity
of class 2, 166.7% capacity of class 3, and only 125%
capacity of class 4.

Your formula Capacity = (Size^2)*5
Capacities 5, 20, 45, 80, 125

Class
2 has 400% capacity of class 1
3 has 900% capacity of class 1, but only 125% capacity
of class 2
4 has 1600% capacity of class 1, but only 400%
capacity of class 2 and only 177.8% capacity of class
3
5 has 2500% capacity of class 1, but only 625%
capacity of class 2, 277.8% capacity of class 3, and
only 156.3% capacity of class 4.

If all you want is a curve instead of a line, then you
got it.  But if you want a formula where the capacity
of the vehicle is directly proportional to the class
directly BELOW it, try this formula: Capacity =
5*2^(Class-1)

This gives Capacities of 5, 10, 20, 40, 80.  Also a
curve, but with an interesting twist:

Class
2 has 200% capacity of class 1
3 has 400% capacity of class 1, and 200% capacity of
class 2
4 has 800% capacity of class 1, 400% capacity of class
2 and 200% capacity of class 3
5 has 1600% capacity of class 1,800% capacity of class
2, 400% capacity of class 3, and 200% capacity of
class 4.

Nifty, huh?

Now, if you REALLY want to screw with your head, use
different curves/lines for weapons than you do for
vehicles.  Might be fun.

3B^2

=====
"In life, you must try and be the type of person that your dog thinks
you are."

- Anonymous

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Prev: RE: [OT] Completely Next: Re: [DS2} Vehicle Design