Prev: [OT] completely Next: Re: [DS2} Vehicle Design

Re: [OT] Completely

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:10:41 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] Completely

> 3) What was the effective range, with the appropiate speed setting, of
> torpedoes in WW1?

At http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWtorpedo.htm:

"Torpedoes in 1914 carried a contact-triggered explosive warhead and had
range of 10,000 metres and could travel at 41 knots. However, their
ideal
range was about a kilometre because they tended to be inaccurate over
longer distances. "

I'm assuming the usual great improvements over the course of the war,
though some of the comments in your below-cited page cast some doubts...

> However I have found this site which may be of interest:

Still haven't found definitive answers, but the tables refer to
Campbell's
'Jutland: An Analysis of the Fighting'. I'll give it a browse when I get
home. Also the Jane's reprints to see if there's anything in them.

The_Beast

Prev: [OT] completely Next: Re: [DS2} Vehicle Design