Prev: Help needed Next: Re: Facing was: Well, too interesting

Re: Flanking Maneuver - was RE: % of front shots

From: Brian B <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:15:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Flanking Maneuver - was RE: % of front shots

It definitely has promise, but I'm not sure it's a
good idea for the basic rules.	Maybe as an aoptional
rule or supplement?

--- B Lin <lin@rxkinetix.com> wrote:

> Basic concepts for organizing a flanking maneuver:
>
> You purchase units for the flanking force (standard
> cost)
> You then purchase the "Flank Maneuver" for that
> force, cost is equal to the cost rating of the
> SLOWEST unit type in the force, multiply cost
> rating(times base flank cost) times the number of
> units to get the cost of the flank maneuver. (i.e.
> slow units cost 3x, medium cost 2x and fast units
> cost 1x) I don't know what the actual base flank
> cost should be, perhaps 5-10 points per unit, but it
> would require play-test to determine the actual
> balance point.
>
> Decide which flank the force(s) will enter on.
>
> After allocating points, each side declares if there
> are flank march(es)and which side they are entering
> on and the point total for each force.  If one side
> (Side A) has no flank marches and the opponent has
> flank attacks to both sides, then Side A sets up in
> a 24 MU diameter circle of the exact center of the
> board and the opponent may set-up forces on ANY
> side.
>
> Non-flanking forces are set-up first, then flanking
> forces in order of speed (High speed forces first)
> if forces are equal speed, the larger point force
> sets up first.  There is a minimum distance that new
> forces must be set up from previously placed
> opposing units (24-36 MU perhaps).
>
> If the flank is opposed (i.e. both players have a
> force entering from that side) then the force sets
> up on the owning players side of the board on that
> flank.  If the flank is unopposed the force MAY set
> up in the flank area anyhere up to the OPPONENT's
> side of the board. (with the minimum 24-36 MU
> distance from previously placed opposing units)
>
> So the setup rules will have take into account the
> extra space for flanking with the non-flanking units
> setting up using the center section of the board
> (perhaps the middle 40-60 mu) with 20-24 MU on
> either side for flanking forces.
>
> With this method you need to make decisions
> regarding whether to allocate resources to cover
> your flanks or at least have to consider when
> purchasing your force that you might be attacked
> from multiple directions and choose your force
> structure appropriately.
>
>	      ____________
>	      | 	 |
>	      |   Flank  |
>	      |__________|
>	      | 	 |
>	      | 	 |
>	      | 	 |
>  Player A   |  Center  |  Player B
>	      | 	 |
>	      |__________|
>	      | 	 |
>	      |  Flank	 |
>

> --Binhan

=====
"In life, you must try and be the type of person that your dog thinks
you are."

- Anonymous

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Prev: Help needed Next: Re: Facing was: Well, too interesting