Prev: Re: Asymmetry was: Well, too interesting Next: Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread...

Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread...

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:02:09 +0200
Subject: Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread...

Tony Francis wrote:

>Why not stick with the current idea (vehicle is designed with a single
>armour value) but change the way that side and rear armour is derived
>reflect current design trends ? Instead of side armour being (main
armour
>- 1), just say that vehicles with front armour 4 or 5 have side armour
of
>2 and rear of 1, vehicles with front armour of 1-3 have side and rear
of 1.

Because the current MBT armour trend with massive frontal armour and
weak
sides/rear is by no means universal; it is only *one* of several
different
real-world examples where the DS2 armour distributions are
inappropriate.
Changing the DS2 rule to cover one of these examples means that it still

won't cover any of the others.

Examples of existing armour distributions are:

- MBTs: Main (expected) threat is long-range tank gun fire, so *very*
heavy
frontal armour, much weaker sides/rear/top/bottom. DS2 can't handle
these;
your (Tony's) suggestion can (since it is explicitly designed to handle
them).

- Vehicles designed specifically for FIBUA: Main threat is short-range
RPG
fire which can come from just about any direction, so armour is heavy
but
fairly evenly distributed. DS2's armour rules *can* handle at least some
of
these reasonably well; Tony's can't.

- APCs, SPGs: Main threats are artillery, small arms and infantry
support
weapons; again these can come from just about any direction. DS2's and
Tony's armour rules can cover *some* of these (ie. the ones which are
only
small-arms proof in the sides and rear), but can't really cover those
which
are HMG-proof all around but don't have any significantly stronger front

armour (in DS2 terms armour/2 on front, sides and rear).

- Any vehicle designed with enhanced protection against mines: the
vehicle
*bottom* is reinforced, sometimes at the expense of the front/side/rear
armour. Neither DS2 nor Tony's rules can handle these unless you add
special rules.

- Any vehicle designed with an eye towards surviving top-attack weapons:

the vehicle *roof* is reinforced, sometimes at the expense of the
front/side/rear armour. Neither DS2 nor Tony's rules can handle these
unless you add special rules.

In other words, real-world armour distributions do not fit into one
single
rigid scheme - which means that any attempt to use a single rigid scheme
describe them, like DS2 does, will fail for some of them. The more
rigid,
the more vehicles it won't cover. If not even *today's* vehicles can fit

into one such rigid scheme, I'd be very surprised if all future vehicles
in
all player-imagined futures would do it! (Binhan and KH have both given
good examples to the contrary already, too :-) )

Of course you could add special rules for "mine protection", "evenly
distributed armour" or "reinforced roofs" to DS2's or Tony's rules - but

then you lose the entire point of having a rigidly described armour
scheme
in the first place, ie. making it easier to remember what armour the
relevant side of the vehicle has; it'd be simpler to allow the different

faces to be armoured independently from the start instead of allowing it

subsequently by means of a bunch of special rules :-/

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.