Prev: Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread... Next: Re: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games

Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread...

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:38:28 -0500
Subject: Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread...

> Six?	Each side can be set at a different value?  Why would you do
that?

May I suggest there are two discussions, though tightly related, going
on?
The two sides could have the same armor values, but would represent
separate angles of attacks.

However, I can imagine situations, such as 'outriders', that may want
one
side more heavily protected. During the discussion of asymmetrical ships
in
FT, I came up with some fleet manuevers that depended on 'wing' ships
having broadsides on one side stronger than the other. One flaw was
there
was no way to increase armor on one side over other directions, keeping
cost down.

Note, these are less flexible ships, leaving the tactics more brittle,
and
that would certainly be the case, if not more so, for any such designed
armor. The ships in question would have been a relatively small part of
any
fleet, and, like Super Jackhammer Carrier Tank, fire magnets. ;->=

As manuever in DSII is less tightly controlled than in FTII, the
discussion
becomes less significant, though.

The_Beast

Prev: Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread... Next: Re: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games