Prev: Re: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games was Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort

Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@w...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:28:48 -0500
Subject: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort

On 24 Jul 2004 at 20:28, "John C" <john1x@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Official, sha-shmisshal!  This is to be pure fun, with many explosions
and
> eldritch...thingies.	For RPG purposes, the End Times will remain nice
and
> incredibly depressing.

Hey, I understand the desire to give humanity an edge!

(Which reminds me, I should look into getting some space-suited infantry

for End Times scenarios. Hmmm...)

> There is, by the way, apparently an RPG called Cthulhutech in the
works.
> The whole premise appears to be Mecha vs. Mythos, with humanity
kicking
> much ass.  Or whatever it is that Elder Gods sit on.(*)

I've heard vaguely about it.

> Which could not only bring things through, but could also suck things
in
> -- assuming that the gate opened into deep space.  Alternatively, a
bit of
> alien atmosphere could make things very unpleasant.

My understanding of the implications of Lovecraft's writings is that you

don't actually create a "hole" in space-time. Rather, it's a lot closer
to the Stargate model, where there's some sort of barrier that must be
crossed. Otherwise you could evacuate the air from an entire planet by
simply opening a gate to the moon.

So, to stick close to Lovecraft something would have to want to go
through the gate, or the gate would have to physically pass over them,
in
order for it to work. You won't see someone sucked into a gate unless
you've got some sort of vacuum attached to the gate mechanism.

> This feels like the kind of thing humans would do with bastardized
> Eldertech, which is all well and good.

Yep. The Delta Green books mention some of the, uh, unpleasant
experiences that happened after a human started playing around with some

of these glyphs.

> Yessss....  That can be great fun from a play standpoint, too.

I've seen it work in samurai games (the switching allegiances thing).

> And be sure to use words like "Squamous", of course.

Definitely. Oh, and you realize you'll need some sort of soundtrack to
play when you're running the game, right?

> (*) The answer, apparently, is Washington D.C.  Appropriate on *so*
many
> levels.

I wish I could get to GenCon this year. It's a U.S. presidential
election
year, so I'm guessing Chaosium will be holding it's usual Mythos party
convention at GenCon...

---

Allan Goodall	    http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@att.net   agoodall@hyperbear.com

"I'll no say, men are villains a';
The real, harden'd wicked,
Wha hae nae check but human law,
Are to a few restricked." - Robert Burns, "Epistle to a Young Friend"

Prev: Re: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games was Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort