Prev: RE: (DS): Systems per Class Next: (DS): Was Systems per Class

Re: [OT] I need a reality check

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@s...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:27:57 -0700
Subject: Re: [OT] I need a reality check

Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

>G'day guys,
>
>As part of future history fluff I tend to collect odd ball news reports
so I can one day do the kind of media ad-libbing Indy does for the GZG
verse. In this vein I just came across the following, can anyone comment
as to how real this is or has the ABC (and its sources) gone completely
off the rails media style this time round?

><snip>
>
>The magazine quoted an Army spokeswoman as saying, "the surgeons have
to have someone to practice on".

As a matter of fact this *does* make sense. Severe burn and trauma cases

need reconstructive surgery. The plastic surgeon practicing on cosmetic
cases may someday have to do a full reconstruction for a badly injured
soldier. It's kind of like ordering submarines you don't *really* need
to keep the shipyard open and the highly specialized workers together.
The skills have to be available, they have to be practiced, so they have

to be used. It's just that these particular skills have some moderately
frivolous peacetime applications.

Also, Ken Burnside put together a "how to adapt a news article" guide
for the 10 Worlds group. It's 10 Worlds specific, but not onerously so.

(Yahoo membership required for that URL, this should be a case where
asking nicely does the trick)

And no jokes about the poor woman involved in the torture scandal...

--
We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade
and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are

http://www.cs.umb.edu/jfklibrary/j091262.htm

Prev: RE: (DS): Systems per Class Next: (DS): Was Systems per Class