Prev: Re: [List] Huzzah! Re: Idiot in distress! Next: [FH] Penal Colonies RE: Idiot in distress

RE: Idiot in distress

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:10:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Idiot in distress

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, matt tope wrote:

> Doug wrote:
>
> >...though I'm sure a reminder of the re-location of the list archives
> >will be posted, real soon(tm)!
>
> [Shuffling feet nervously, holding cloth cap clasped in grubby mits,
staring at floor] but m'lud, oi already looked there, and I couldn't see
it no matter how hard oi looked. Please 'ave mercy upon me soul m'lud,
oi meant no harm. Please don't send me to Australia, not with all
them...fantastic cities...decent sports teams...lovely bikini clad
ladies...um...oi changed me mind m'lud, oi pleads guilty!  :-D

<grin> ...and this is, more or less, what stopped transportation as a
punishment in the UK - Oz started to be a desirable location (minus the
bikinis, this being the 19th Century we're talking about...)!

"So, I swipes a loaf o' bread, eats that, then gets sent somewhere
warmer
& nicer for it? Where's the nearest bakery, sir?"

ObGZGbit: Will the advent of FTL & off-Earth colonies revive
transportation as a judicial punishment, or will colonial efforts be too
expensive to waste on criminals? Lots of SF authors seem to think it'll
make a comeback, anyway.

Brian.

Prev: Re: [List] Huzzah! Re: Idiot in distress! Next: [FH] Penal Colonies RE: Idiot in distress