Prev: RE: SG-1 in SG2 Next: RE: SG-1 in SG2

RE: SG-1 in SG2

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:21:34 -0400
Subject: RE: SG-1 in SG2

At 5:54 PM -0700 7/15/04, J L Hilal wrote:

>Which sounds like a skirmish game.  I think I already said that we did
>NOT want such a game.	And that we were specifically NOT trying to

I dunno, I've run such a thing in Dirtside and it was hardly a
skirmish. It was a scenario with a given set of starting and ending
conditions. If the scenario is setup properly, both sides have a
great amount of fun in spite of their asymmetrical force numbers.

Do you propose to make Jaffa and SG teams equal in numbers and
quality? If so, that'll hardly be representative of the TV series and
you'll likely get some resistance to the game. You'll probably get a
sore SG team player as he'll have had a set of preconceived notions
as to how the SG team should fair and will find that confusing once
the game starts.

>duplicate the show-as-produced, but rather have a game with a good
>number of figures on each side without requiring one side to have a
>huge numerical advantage in order to have any chance of winning, and
>that our solution was to give more reasonable capabilities to the Jaffa
>and raise them from their Keystone Cop-ness.

They're not Keystone Cops. They're what amounts to Primitive troops
kept such by their Gould Overlords. There isn't a need for greater
capability because that would 1. Threaten their overlords and 2.
require greater technical competence which would tie into #1. As you
may recall, not even Tealc was aware of how to repair many systems
onboard Gould ships and smaller craft. Lesser Gould perform those
kinds of tasks it would seem as high technology is the purview of the
gods. Frankly, I tend to think of the Jaffa as Zulu's with energy
spears, well motivated, sneaky and capable but not terribly
technically advanced in the ways of Modern warfare. That doesn't mean
they're any less dangerous, just somewhat predictable. Again, they
don't even have frikken radios.

I just relized two things to include.
1. Mortar teams. Imagine if another SG team supported a first team or
three that were forward with a pair of 60mm mortars at the gate? Can
you say ouch?
2. The use of the Laser Guided Missiles launched through the gate and
then designated with the UAV would be interesting. Regular use of
such missiles as hip pocket (talk about range!) artillery for SG
teams or the use of UCAV's in the same role would be hell on the
average Jaffa force. No need to get armored vehicles into to gate
room and through the gate. Just fire your support weapon through an
outgoing wormhole to the world the SG team is at and you're golden.
The SG team could even designate the target themselves if need be.

-		  Data Center Operations Group		      -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		       One CNN Center SE0813 E -
- Hours 11am - 7pm Mon - Fri	    (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)      -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	     e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com -
- Office: 404-588-6191					       -
-	      Emergency Power-off != Door release!	       -

Prev: RE: SG-1 in SG2 Next: RE: SG-1 in SG2