Prev: GZG Colours Next: Re: GZG Colours

Re: Four years without thrust

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:15:49 -0400
Subject: Re: Four years without thrust

Re: Stealth/ECM

>> How about an ECM mechanic somehow opposed by the target's fire
>> control?
>> Allocate firecons to cracking it to partially or totally negate the
>> effects.
>
> A substantial problem with the FC-as-anti-ECM mechanic is that it
makes
> multiple FCs vastly more valuable than they are now.

I agree with this. The way I wrote the stealth mechanic, Enhanced and
Superior Sensors have countering
effects vs. stealth, but not normal fire control. Stealth also has an
inherent limitation for ships that use it: Firecons must be used in
"passive mode" which limits outgoing fire from stealth ships to a range
of 24 MU. Stealth ships can still mount longer range weapons, but if
they fire at targets beyond 24 MU, firecon has to be active, and
stealth is negated.

Regardless of stealth or ECM mechanic, I think counters should _not_ be
the standard firecon. Use Enhanced sensors or ECCM as straight
additions and subtractions. Another range modification concept in the
WDA is the Targeting Lidar (whatever name you like), a 1 mass system
that subtracts 2 MU from the effective range of a target. Multiples of
them would be great at countering range-based stealth/ECM.

Prev: GZG Colours Next: Re: GZG Colours