Prev: Re: Four years without thrust Next: Re: Conversion Updates

Re: Four years without thrust

From: Dom Mooney <cybergoths@d...>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 23:06:56 +0100
Subject: Re: Four years without thrust

On 11 Jul 2004, at 22:34, Laserlight wrote:

>> Definitely looks interesting (though the cloaking units in MT were
>> always a pain to use).
>
> The way Noam envisioned it was not as cloaking, but as effectively
> reducing the firer's range bands.  For instance, if you're firing at a
> target 21mu away and he has no stealth, you can hit him with a Beam 2;
> but if he has stealth 1, you have count five inches as if it were six
> inches, so you can't him him.  If he has stealth-2, you count 4 inches
> as if it were 6, so that target which is 21 inches away on the table
> is outside PTorp range but just inside B3 range.

That's basically how we handled it in Power Projection. Sensor
degradation is modeled by increasing the effective line of sight of a
target, so pushing it out of range if it's bad enough. It's a very
quick and effective mechanic that avoids a load of complexity by having
things like targeting and sensor lock rolls...

In PP's case, nuke explosions make a target act as if it is 2MU
(150,000 km) further away. You can push a target into long range, or
completely out of range. You may have to be clever with the way that
physical attacks are handled. In PP we did this by shortening  the
movement that a missile salvo could do in a turn.

Cheers,

Dom

------------Dom Mooney-------cybergoths_at_dsl.pipex.com----------
"Once we actually mapped it for publication it seemed to shrink in
size and was no longer the immensity that would take months to
traverse. As things become known, they lose grandeur."
After Steve Perrin, Pavis & Big Rubble Reprint Epilogue
http://www.dom.mooney.dsl.pipex.com/   http://www.bits.org.uk/

Prev: Re: Four years without thrust Next: Re: Conversion Updates