Prev: Re: I'm back Next: Re: TOE

Re: I'm back

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 19:14:41 -0400
Subject: Re: I'm back

At 5:14 PM -0500 7/3/04, <warbeads@juno.com> wrote:

>Let's take a page from the 'non-existent'  sub launched SAM shall we?

Problem is that when you unmask, you're toast to
the other weapons. Note the many users of the
past developed systems.

>The weapon is ejected from the tube with compressed air/gas, a rocket
>ignites inside the 'bubble' and accelerates it towards the surface near
>the target where it pops up, seeks and finds the target and then either
>acts as an ASM or drops a torpedo like weapon that accelerates under
the
>vehicle and explodes up (since armor is thinner underneath (see mine
>rules) and scores a kill.

Yeah, I can see that, but I can also see a small
fast Grav vehicle being able to throw some rather
crazy maenuvers out and with PDS systems very
small, it'll be very hard for the sub to deal
with these buggers. Think of them as small,
armored Helos that are right on the surface and
will be on you before you can spit once a sub has
unmasked. The best way to deal with them will be
a remote top attack munition that'll have to get
some altitude and deployed by something pretty
large.

>  But how would the
>>tanks deal with the sub? Homing torps once they
>>have a localized location? Sono-buoys seem the
>>ideal means of checking for the craft.
>
>Grav/GEV vehicles would seem like very low flying aircraft/helicopters.

Low, fast and armored more than a typical helo with out easy to injure
blades.

I'll assume helo's will retain similar loiter
time as the GRAVs due to the commonality of power
plants on both platforms. The one saving grace is
that the sub's will have to be hit with some kind
of smart/brilliant munition it won't work to try
to nail them with KE weapons as it would a
surface craft.

Anyone see a problem for Future navy vessels in a
GRAV environment up on the littorial? Its one
thing to nail a bunch of tanks on a bluff when
the blunder into your Direct observed fire zone.
Its another thing when they can zip out across
the surf zone, get inside your major weapon's
reach so to speak and make you rely on large
radar/laser guided PDS. Ships with a PDS down
will be lunch meat for fast tanks out in the
close and dirty, but anything with a PDS (CWIS,
Goalkeeper, etc) will be able to keep them beat
back unless they can overwhelm it.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: I'm back Next: Re: TOE