Prev: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE Next: Re: Car Wars (was Re: Slew of stuck messages unstuck)

RE: [FT] Fiction / Settings.

From: matt tope <mptope@o...>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:14:03 +0100
Subject: RE: [FT] Fiction / Settings.

Robin Fitton wrote:

 >I am a big Banks fan and I would like to run a campaign in the Banks
Culture universe. I can remember that in one of his novels earth is
featured and visited by a >Special Circumstances operative.

The Earth Story (set in 1977) is one of the short stories in the
collection called "State of the Art". As for maps/stars etc, Banks has
always been vague on these things in his novels, the best approach would

be to make stuff up, after all the culture itself is a disparate
collection of orbitals and ships scattered throughout the galaxy as a
whole. As for wargaming individual vessels which could destroy/shut
down/sequest an entire enemy fleet 2500 light years away....not sure
how....

 >I am also a follower of Peter Hamilton and would love to find a star
map / colony outline for his universe. I really like the communist
Martian colonists from earth!

There is a companion to the Nights Dawn "Universe" that has loads of
extra details and info but I'm not so sure if any maps are present.
However as the human space is in a volume of spave 600LY across, and
travel times between worlds can be obtained from the books themselves,
creating somekind of star map should be easier for this background than
the culture setting.

Regards,

Matt Tope

Prev: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE Next: Re: Car Wars (was Re: Slew of stuck messages unstuck)