Prev: [FT] Fiction / Settings. Next: RE: [FT] Fiction / Settings.

RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:36:13 -0400
Subject: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

At 10:00 PM -0700 7/1/04, John Atkinson wrote:

>The Traveller assumption was that your ARV would open
>the bay door below, and settle down over the disabled
>vehicle.  Then it would chain the wreck to the
>recovery vehicle, and lift, closing the doors as soon
>as it lifted up.  Since it assumed that the bay would
>be inside the 'contra-gravity field' and therefor be
>pretty lightweight.

Sounds like a dedicated vehicle chassis vs an
adapted chassis also, sounds more like a
transporter.

>Oh, you mean HETs, the low-boys.  Yeah, they almost
>always do if they are purpose-built military ones.
>Ted could be more enlightening about contracted
>civillian HETs.

Even the 10 Ton Semi-tractors in military service
have a bloody huge winch. I think the one that
Eastern Surplus had for sale had a 20,000 lb
front winch and a 50,000 lb rear winch. Even the
5 ton wreckers have a 45,000 lb rear winch in
addition to the crane and front winches.

>>  Depends. A Blade is easy to tack on. The Abrams
>>  can carry a blade no problem. ITs the bigger
>>  stuff that costs more space. Screw auger,
>>  backhoe, front end loader, etc.
>
>A blade is easy to "tack on" but the hydraulics needed
>to dig properly with them is no joke.	A bladed Abrams
>might be good for pushing spoil.

I dunno. If it's designed in as a feature and the
hydraulic pump is large enough, adding an extra
hydraulic component isn't so hard. Look at the
Swedish S tank. They have a fully retractable
blade for digging their own scrapes sans engineer
support.

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: [FT] Fiction / Settings. Next: RE: [FT] Fiction / Settings.