Prev: Re: [OT] Happy Canada Day! Next: Re: [FT] Simple cloaking system proposal

RE: [FT] Simple cloaking system proposal

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 12:54:34 +0200
Subject: RE: [FT] Simple cloaking system proposal

Matt Tope wrote:

>(Partial?) Stealth/Cloaking system.

Quick summary: essentially a souped-up variant of the FB2 Vapour Shroud
giving much better protection against direct-fire weapons and missiles
(including those which ignore normal Vapour Shrouds, eg. P-torps and
Salvo
Missiles), but possibly making the ship *more* vulnerable against Plasma

Bolts and similar area-effect weapons (by reducing the thrust rating and

thus make the ship easier to hit).

>Mass: 5% of vessel mass (?)
>
>Cost: 4 x mass used (?)

Hm. If it cuts the thrust rating, I don't think I'd want to pay even
this
much for it - the main reason to use such a system is to get into
position
to use your own tricky-to-aim weapons (usually short-ranged and/or
narrow-arced) without getting too badly shot before you get to fire
them,
and if your thrust rating is reduced your chances of getting into
position
to fire  will drop radically.

If it doesn't cut the thrust rating, it is worth a than the FB2 Vapour
Shroud. Mass*4 could be a bit low considering how much more this
stealth/cloak system protects against (P-torps, K-guns, missiles etc);
but
it depends a lot on how the exact effects against missiles/PBs.

>Also unsure on interaction with needle beams. Tempted to say cannot be
>fired upon a cloaked vessel. Once again open to ideas here!

A -3 target's DRM will automatically make Needle Beams ineffective
against
the vessel, since they only inflict damage on rolls of 5+ and don't get
re-rolls.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [OT] Happy Canada Day! Next: Re: [FT] Simple cloaking system proposal