Prev: Re: New and Improved Website Next: RE: UNSC Ship Names

Re: UNSC Ship Names

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:05:50 +0200
Subject: Re: UNSC Ship Names

----- Original Message -----
From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 6:20 PM

> > >Hermes class Diplomatic Couriers
> > Saks
> > Macy's
> > Tiffany's
> > (assumes that "Hermes" refers to the store)
> >
>    What does Hermes refer to anyways?  I doubt if it's really about
the
store.
>  It doesn't seem to me that you'd name your Couriers after greek gods,
but
>  maybe it's just me.

Mythical and fairy tale messengers, then ?
Eos, Athene, various angels

> > >Lawkeeper class Patrol Cruisers
> > Dredd
> >
>    He he.  Yeah, that will be one.  I'm thinking we need famous
sheriff's
and
>  the like.  Who founded Scotland Yard?  Wyatt and Virgil Earp?
Hammurabi
>  perhaps?

Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple
These are fictional, but we are doing a (science) fiction game ;-)

> > >Hunter class Frigates
> > Nimrod "was a mighty hunter before Lord"
> > Artemis
> > Diana
> >
>    These are good.  I need *lot's* of frigate names.	Anyone got
non-fictional
>  hunters?  I was going to use Hemmingway.  Who else is a famous
big-game
>  hunter?

Teddy Roosevelt

> > >Storm class Strike Cruisers
> > Khamsim, Sirocco, similar windstorms
>
>    I was wondering about this.  Are their enough storm "types" to use,
or
would
>  we need to use the "names" of hurricanes and typhoons instead?

There should be enough wind/storm names,
Hurricane, Typhoon, Kamikaze, Tornado, Whirlwind, Blizzard

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: New and Improved Website Next: RE: UNSC Ship Names