Prev: Re: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside Next: Re: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside

Re: rear firing arcs (was 3-row hull)

From: <bail9672@b...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:30:39 -0400
Subject: Re: rear firing arcs (was 3-row hull)

>>Sometimes I make a mistake in movement orders, sometimes Steve
>>does.  It is just more costly for me to make a movement mistake
>>since Steve's ships have better arcs.
>
>And your house rules allowing unrestricted A-arc fire don't help
>you any either...

It works both ways, as I usually have some 6-arc weaponry (type 1s,
some type 2 beams), and the occassional rear firing pulse torpedo
(especially on Klingon designs).  He ends up in my rear arc more
often due to my overrunning him and his tendency to head for my
current position once we've closed; I've changed my movement
tactics but it still happens.

And, that's a silly rule.  It might be good for the Tuffley verse,
but not mine.  It does slightly favor him, but getting to rear arcs
is not that easy when the opponent uses advanced drives.

One thing that has worked against me is his tendency to make
1 point turns closer to 45 degrees than 30.  I've chastised him
on this and he's getting better at making the correct turns.

Also, speed is NOT life in Full Thrust; to change that oft-quoted
phrase.  One that took me awhile to unlearn.
It's better for my limited-arc forward-firing weapon-armed
ships to go slow on the initial approach so as to keep him in the
optimum arc longer.  And when we starting the maneuvering part
of the battle a slower ship does make a tighter turn.

Glen