Prev: Re: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside Next: Re: rear firing arcs (was 3-row hull)

Re: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:23:31 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside

I had another thought about that question of whether my SLAM/4 armed
missile tanks are "effective and efficient".  Well, maybe they aren't,
but
then, cost effectiveness is not always what I have in mind when building

(some of you shudder...)

As a historical gamer I often found it interesting to play sides with
... problems or limits.  For example, playing early WWII games (North
Africa) I freqently played the British, despite the fact that their
Cruiser tanks fell apart regularly, the Matilidas were so damned slow
that
they may as well have been pillboxes, almost no tank that they had fired

high explosive, and that the Germans had a much better integrated and
flexible command structure.  Playing the Brits and doing well was a
challenge.  Likewise, in the Napoleonic era, I played the Russians.  The

French had it all over them, but they were neat.  I loved the
semi-immobile masses, big (though not that effective) guns, and the fact

that while could barely manuever (comparatively), they	would stand and
hold forever.

So, for my SLAM tanks, yeah, I could likely design something more
efficient and cost effective, but that wouldn't necessarily make them
more
fun to play with.

:)

John K. Lerchey
Computer and Network Security Coordinator
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University

Prev: Re: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside Next: Re: rear firing arcs (was 3-row hull)