Prev: RE: Painting tips Next: RE: Painting tips

RE: Painting tips

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:01:05 -0600
Subject: RE: Painting tips

Don't know why it's called "Magic Wash" other than it's relatively easy
to make and use, provides good results and is very cheap.

The main ingredient is "Future Floor Wax" which is a misnomer since it's
an acrylic based floor "wax".  I've seen recipies that vary from full
strength Future down to stuff that is 1/4 strength (1 part future to
three parts water) plus whatever color you wish to stain with. Usually
you only need about 1 drop of color per ounce of Magic wash. YMMV and
you can always add more to taste (sight?).

The more Future you use, the "stickier" the wash is, that is the more it
clings to cracks and crevices and even raised areas.  Too watery a wash
will tend to drip out of the cracks.

The advantage of the this method is that you can choose the exact shade
or tint of your wash - anything from straight black, to shades of brown,
or even dark green, blue,  or red.

In practice you would use them as you would inks - for enhancing
shadows.  But they have the added appeal that they put down a slight
layer of protection (the acrylic coat).  This usually leaves a
semi-gloss look that some people dislike, but most people will dull-coat
their figures anyway.

Cost of Future Floor Wax is about $7.00 per quart.

The Minwax method is similar but you are limited in shades (usually dark
or medium browns) and to get the best effect you need to thin the stain
slightly to reduce the clinginess to raised areas.  It is also requires
the use of paint thinner to clean your brushes.  Future is water based
and is easily cleaned up with water.

--Binhan

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/mlb&pgmarket=en-us/go/onm00200439ave/
direct/01/

Prev: RE: Painting tips Next: RE: Painting tips