Prev: RE: Vietnam and modern combat Next: Re: Long winded comment Re: Vietnam and modern combat

RE: Vietnam and modern combat

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:05:38 -0400
Subject: RE: Vietnam and modern combat

At 7:04 PM -0700 4/26/04, John Atkinson wrote:

>I'm sorry.  What I meant was that unlike Vietnam, the
>'guerillas' in Iraq do not have a triple canopy jungle
>to hide under.  Therefore grouping in large units and
>trying to duke it out with conventional troops is
>distinctly unhealthy.	Never mind special operations
>with entire squadrons of close air support on call.

Hell, the AC-130s are even deadlier than they
were in the Vietnam day. They're pressurized, the
armament is trainable, they have radar directors
for adjusting rounds out to put them on target
regardless of turbulence and crosswinds, and the
pilot isn't aiming with a stick and cross-hairs
on his left window.

They can put rounds down more accurately, with
better sensors (ground mapping radar, Thermal
Imaging, Low Light Cameras, GPS and all sorts of
other cool doodads. Hell, the pressurized "gun
deck" makes it even easier for the rear crew to
serve the armament.

A Gyrene that's working in Kabul now watched an
AC-130 work over an area North of Tikrit (iirc)
for several days running. He said it was the most
awesome and grim thing he'd seen yet.

There's video running around of an AC-130 hunting
Afgani's that are fleeing a compound that it lit
up. There's a ground controller that guide's them
initially and then gives them clearance to fire.
There was no hiding from that aircraft that the
guys on the ground probably couldn't even hear
until it started dropping 40 and 105mm HE on
them. A grim thing to watch men die that way.

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: RE: Vietnam and modern combat Next: Re: Long winded comment Re: Vietnam and modern combat