Prev: Re: DSII free pdf!!! - the stampede Next: Re: [SG, figs] vehicle resin putty question

Re: (FT) BETA fighter rules, comments

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:02:26 +0200
Subject: Re: (FT) BETA fighter rules, comments

Before Easter broke out, Matt Tope wrote:

>I have just returned from a very extended gaming weekend in which we
tried
>out the new fighter rules posted on the list a few weeks back. The
>comments that I can think of are as follows;

Thanks for the report!

[positive comments snipped]

>Whether as a result of the vagaries of dice rolls or the gods of
chance,
>1-4 salvo missiles lobbed into an enemy fleet numbering about 4000pts
>somehow seemed to survive defensive fire and get a few missiles in on
>target (never decisive strikes, but some nasty hits inflicted), whilst
1-6
>AMT's/PBL strength 1's fired at the same fleet would normally all be
>negated. Very odd.

I've recieved similar reports from several other groups too, and unlike
the
Graser case I have neither maths analyses nor enough personal experience

with this PB-vs-PD game mechanic to file these reports as "extreme die
rolls" ;-)

It seems that a -1 target's DRM against PD fire doesn't give the PBs and

AMTs enough protection when every PDS in the area of effect can target
them
*and* the defenders get to fire one ship's PDS at a time (allowing them
minimize overkills), so this is an area we need to work more on. As an
interim solution, try changing the PB/AMT -1 target's DRM vs PD-mode
fire
to -2 (though keep Scatterguns at D3-1 for now - think of it as
"(D6-2)/2
if you like <g>); this still tones them down a bit compared to the FB2
rules since most weapons get rerolls against them, but not as much as
the
beta-test rules currently do.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: DSII free pdf!!! - the stampede Next: Re: [SG, figs] vehicle resin putty question