Prev: Re: Vector movement fighters Next: Re: Vector movement fighters

Re: Vector movement fighters

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 22:00:36 +0000
Subject: Re: Vector movement fighters

Leslie wrote:

> [I don't like this initiative advantage that a two-player alliance has
>  over a one player task force, though the ability of a larger point
>  total fleet to field large ships may be somewhat of a counter.]

I wouldn't have done initiative that way. I would have done initiative
alternating between each side, not each player. That's how I did it when
I was running FT games at GenCon.

> The problem is, we intend to use bigger fleets next time, so fighters
> will have to come into play.

Why? I have played with big fleets, and I prefer not to play with
fighters at all.

> However, I'm not sure whether using
> vector movement for fighters won't break stuff too badly - the FT FAQ
> says that fighters keep their normal rules even when vector movement
> is used, but I find this somewhat... disconcerting.

I do, too, which is one reason I hardly use fighters (the other two are
a) they are broken, and b) I don't play that much). I always wanted
vector fighters. But if you do that, you end up with vector missiles.
You can't defend against very fast vector missiles, at least not the way
they were written. Every time I've mentioned vector fighters on the
playtest list (albeit, not too often) it was shot down.

If you are really set on using fighters, try the playtest beta rules
that were posted here a few weeks ago. They apparently fix the problems
that fighters have in the FT/MT/FB1/FB2 rules. They don't make them
vector, though.

--
Allan Goodall		   agoodall@att.net
http://www.hyperbear.com   agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: Vector movement fighters Next: Re: Vector movement fighters