Prev: Re: [FT] AMT questions Next: Re: Vector movement fighters

Re: Vector movement fighters

From: "Leszek 'Leslie' Karlik" <leslie@e...>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 23:48:10 +0200
Subject: Re: Vector movement fighters

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 09:49:00PM +0100, Roger Burton West
distributed foul capitalist propaganda:

[...]
> >OK, yesterday I've played may first Full Thrust game ever.
> >(I got the FT rulebook, Polish edition [1] for a Christmas present).
> Congratulations! Not to mention Welcome to GZG-L!

Thanks. :-) I really like the game.

[...]
> Generally when I play more than two-sided, I divide the forces into
two
> "sides" and allow free choice of unit to activate within each.

Right, that's what we intend to do next time.

Also, rolling 2D6 for initiative will eliminate the frequent ties.
[And I'm thinking about allowing a purchase of an "exceptional
 admiral" for +1 to Initiative rolls at a cost of, say, 25 points
 and with a condition that if the ship he is on is destroyed, you only
 roll 1D6 for initiative on the next round. Then again, it's probably
 not worth the bother. ;->]

[...]
> >the FT FAQ says that fighters keep their normal rules even when
> >vector movement is used, but I find this somewhat... disconcerting.

> It works pretty well in practice as long as you don't have a large
> enough playing area that ships outrun fighters. Most of the time the
> results you get are close enough to the ones you get from the standard
> rules that you might as well have _used_ the standard rules.

Right, they do have a very large movement radius. OK, I'll see how
they do without vector.

> Have you looked into the beta-test fighter rules posted to this list?

Yes, I was searching through the archives with 'vector fighter rules'
keywords, so I did read them. :-) And I do intend to use them.

http://lists.firedrake.org/gzg/200403/msg00286.html
> if not. (These are not intended for distribution beyond the GZG list
> just yet - they're still being worked on - but they may still be of
some
> interest in fixing the problem you haven't met yet, that huge numbers
of
> fighters will outdo almost any other weapon system...)

I already saw complaints to that nature on the Polish FT list. I even
thought about translating the rules into Polish and putting them
somewhere, but since they are not intended for distribution beyond the
list I had to decide against it. Oh well.

> Roger
Leslie
--
Sol-Earthsa Leszek Leslie Karlik dam Posen;	 leslie @ ideefixe . pl
	      Drone, Offensive; Special Circumstances, Contact Section.

Prev: Re: [FT] AMT questions Next: Re: Vector movement fighters