Prev: Re: [FH] Military ranks Next: RE: Battlestar Galactia?

[FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered?

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:10:19 -0500
Subject: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered?

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@ozemail.com.au>

> I've been running solo escort vs escort test battles with
> the new UNSC beta test ships and analysing the results.

Thanks for such a thorough treatment. It was interesting looking at you
results.
I have a couple comments, though I do not have the various statistics
at my command.

First, is that comparing Mass of Grasers to beams is not sufficient.
Grasers cost more per mass than beams and this must be factored in,
because the cost is there specifically to account for some of the
Mass/Power imbalance.

Second, I agree that Grasers power is maximized in escort battles. Some
of this advantage will evaporate when escorts accompany larger
(especially screened) ships that can take a 2-hit graser shot without
thresholding. I think escort battles are the showcase for Graser's
maximum effect. Next you should try cruiser groups (both cruisers alone
and cruiser escort mixes). My bet is things will be a bit different.

Third, Head-on passes against grasers are not the best way to survive.
As you mention, if the NAC could keep out of 12-18MU range, they stood
a much better chance. This may not be easy, but I wonder if a two
player game would see the maneuver component evolve rapidly as this
point was driven home. The role of maneuver is very hard to playtest
solo (or even with small numbers of two+ player games).

There's probably more, but these are the my thoughts. The first is easy
to think about - and may be enough in and of itse;f, the second is easy
enough to playtest, the third will take a large number of nearly
identical tests were different maneuver strategies are attempted and
countered.

Noam

---

      "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
	  -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

Prev: Re: [FH] Military ranks Next: RE: Battlestar Galactia?