Prev: Re: [SGII] Alien seed Next: Re: Ship Building

Re: Ship Building

From: Michael Robert Blair <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:39:29 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Ship Building

When we played a campaign with the old FT II system we
had some fairly simple shipyard rules. Each player
started with four 'slipways' on his orbital shipyard.
An escort took one slip, a cruiser two and a capital
ship four. Building time then was one turn per point
of mass. I ended up using graph paper to record what
was being built which worked quite well. You could
also build more slipways - and each of those had an
SSD in case someone tried a shipyard attack. One was
but my two BB sized monitors drove of the attackers
though it was a close run thing.

It was possible to use a tug to move a slipway to a
new system or to build one from scratch but this was
expensive and not every would was capable of doing so.

There was some demand for being able to build ships on
a planets surface but I did not like this idea and as
I wrote the campaign rules this was 'disincentivised'.

It worked but there were a few problems. On the whole
the campaign rules were too complicated, at times the
game resembed an accountancy exercise when you tried
to keep track of production points - which could be
moved by ship.

Michael

Prev: Re: [SGII] Alien seed Next: Re: Ship Building