Prev: Re: SG2 ] Points System Next: UK Availability of Power Projection: Fleet

Re: variable hulls

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:47:33 +0100
Subject: Re: variable hulls

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frits Kuijlman" <frits@pds.twi.tudelft.nl>

> All in all, this, together with the quadratic CPV stuff, seems to
> indicate that simple linear functions for costing don't seem to
> work. At least, when you go to extremes. Of course, using the rules
> with lots of non-linear functions would make them a bit unwieldy,
> unless you are using a computer. Which, for a miniatures games, might
> not be the right way to go.

I think that there are two different issues here. A complicated formula
that
has to be used in-game is, indeed, something to be avoided.

Formulas that are used in ship construction are not nearly as much of a
problem, as they are used only once per ship (or a few times, if gamers
play
around with their designs). A simple pocket calculator should not be a
deterrent here, though I would want to avoid any more exotic functions
than
simple arithmetics.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: SG2 ] Points System Next: UK Availability of Power Projection: Fleet