Prev: FTJava V0.12 released & next release plans Next: Re: Fighters

Re: variable hulls

From: Frits Kuijlman <frits@p...>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:32:23 +0100
Subject: Re: variable hulls

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
> The other hull types also have this kind of synergy effects, but on a
far
> smaller scale.
Right. I was looking at similar ships with just different numbers of
rows. I'll have to see what the synergy effects of shields are. Didn't
think about that.
However, it seemed that the relative efficiency increase from 4 rows
to 3 rows was bigger than from 3 rows to 2 rows. But maybe shields
much this up as well.

> >For 4 rows hull efficiency is 1/4*(1+1+5/6+5/6*4/6),
> >and system efficiency is 1/4*(1+5/6+5/6*4/6+5/6*4/6*3/6).
>
> (BTW, your "hull efficiency" looks like the probability that one
specific
> Core System - ie. the Bridge, since that's the only one which knocks
the
> ship out cold - will remain intact. Is that a correct interpretation?)
Yup. Other factors, like damage control parties didn't seem significant.

> Putting these extra factors will probably mess your numbers up a bit
:-/
Yup, this will make it an almost unsolvable puzzle.

> >Anybody do any serious simulation on this?
> Yep. Four or five years ago :-/
Sigh:-)

All in all, this, together with the quadratic CPV stuff, seems to
indicate that simple linear functions for costing don't seem to
work. At least, when you go to extremes. Of course, using the rules
with lots of non-linear functions would make them a bit unwieldy,
unless you are using a computer. Which, for a miniatures games, might
not be the right way to go.
So, how do you go about avoiding design extremes without using
complicated formulae or articicial limitations?
Things I found when going through the archives:
- big vs small ships
- the recent fighter discussion
- some reference to Sa'vasku design extremes
- this variable hull stuff
Or just use a scenario, as was also mentioned recently.

Cheers,
	Frits

--
Frits Kuijlman			   F.Kuijlman@{its,cs,twi}.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology			      The Netherlands

Prev: FTJava V0.12 released & next release plans Next: Re: Fighters