Prev: Re: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

Re: this is a first...

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 17:19:40 +0000
Subject: Re: this is a first...

Roger wrote:

> As it stands, the region code is a very low bar. Maybe I just move in
> the wrong circles, but nobody I know face-to-face has any problem with
> playing discs from any region he feels like...

Considering how many people have problems resetting the clock on their
VCR, how many people have problems looking at an updated web page
because they can't clear their web browser's cache, and how many people
can't be bothered to read instructions if they aren't shown in big
pictures and no more than a page long, I suspect the bar isn't _that_
low. Sure, most of us here could watch DVDs in whatever region they
want. For the average consumer it's too much work... and they probably
wouldn't go looking for anything outside their own region anyway.

The region code will probably stay for the cinema reasons you mention,
and because the average person isn't going to bother finding away around
it. The average person doesn't even know what a region code is! I saw a
post online where someone didn't know what the "NTSC" code and "the
little globe with the number in it" meant on the back of their DVD.
Region codes don't work with everyone, but they work for the masses.

--
Allan Goodall		   agoodall@att.net
http://www.hyperbear.com   agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII