Prev: RE: [GZG] Keeping games moving Re: After Con Report - ECC VII Next: Re: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers

RE: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:03:06 -0700
Subject: RE: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers

I encountered similar problems when doing the conversion of FT I to WW2
Naval - for instance an Iowa class battleship had 9 Class A (Beam 3)
guns mounted in three turrets, twenty Class C (Beam 1) mounted on the
sides, 10 PDS and 4 ADS.  Belt armor was represented by shields, but
ignored if fire came from the front/rear arc or from long range
(plunging fire). Hull boxes was based on displacement, roughly 1 box per
1,000 tons with some fudge factor based on anecdotal evidence of
strength of design.

Interesting enough, large American carriers (Essex Class) were serious
ship killers with 10 stands of planes (representing 120 planes)  With
limited launch and recover facilities (one stand per turn, flight deck
only allowed to launch or land, not both in the same turn) it would take
5-6 turns for a strike to form then a large cloud of planes would
descend on some poor hapless target and pretty much annihilate it. (18
torpedo shots can ruin a battleship's day) then take another 10-12 turns
to land, re-arm and launch again.  The main concern was the opposing
fleet's aircraft attacking while your own planes were down for
re-arming.

There was a problem with Battleships and heavy cruisers annilhating
destroyers at long ranges, which historically didn't happen much.
Another issue is that in real life, salvoes are very much hit or miss,
with rarely anything like a "grazing" shot.  Getting slammed with 1,600
lbs of armor-piercing steel is going to hurt, but a near miss is only
going to get you wet, so in reality there should be a "to hit" roll then
a damage roll.

Submarines were ok with a referee but oddly unsatisfactorily slow and
unpredictable, a good salvo of 6 torpedoes into a key ship could change
a battle in an instant, but getting the submarine into the correct
position was a very difficult job.

--Binhan