Prev: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII Next: [GZG] Keeping games moving Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

Re: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:35:54 +0000
Subject: Re: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers

Jared wrote:

> I assume that 5" is a typo and you mean the 15".

Yes, that was a typo.

> All of the Jane's that I have list shell weight and muzzle velocity
> only, not max range.

Warships International had an issue where they discussed gun trials
between the Russo-Japanese War and the First World War. I can't remember
if they discussed maximum range, but they did talk about the accuracy
(in terms of hit probability) at several ranges, giving a very good idea
of the maximum effective range.

I have several source books for the Russo-Japanese War, and so I know
the maximum range used for engaging, which is more realistic to model
than theoretical maximum range anyway.

> As for how the ranges convert to FT, I figure that the engagement
> ranges were "effective range", while the list values were "maximum
> range".  I feel that this translates into FT as effective range being
> the 3rd range  band for K-guns, as this is where you get 50% hits (4+
> on d6),and one FT "shot" can represent the firing of several shells,
> rather than playing out each round.  It's all up to your individual
> tastes

I took a different tack. I found information on the number of minutes of
sustained fire that was required to sink a ship, based on trials done
before the Russo-Japanese War. The war came out with similar statistics.
The average time was 50 minutes, but that was from the fire of one
battleship. Using this as a gauge, I came up with a method of
calculating hull boxes based on average chance to hit. Surprisingly, the
result was fairly accurate.

One problem I have is that beams are linear in the number of dice added,
while real life guns are non-linear in accuracy. I tried to fix this,
but eventually just abandoned the whole _Full Steam_ idea. I've since
gone back to it and feel that while it's not 100% accurate, it's fun and
simple. This is why I'm looking at it again.

Each shot does, indeed, represent more than one actual shot. In fact,
each shot represents firing from one turret. This is another problem.
I've had to double up the guns on the ships. It works for 12" guns,
which were mounted two to a turret, but it means that smaller guns are
rounded up. I'd prefer to have one gun on the actual ship represent one
gun on the ship sheet, but that means that a 12" turret (two guns) would
require 12 dice to roll at close range, and 24 dice at long range. Add
in, say, the five 6" guns on the Fuji at close range and you're rolling
39 dice! That was way too excessive. Chopping them down by half that
makes the game faster to play, though some realism is stripped out.

I'm still working on this as it's the one area of the rules I'm really
not crazy about.

> I used PDS for small rapid fire like 20mm Oerlikon and 40mm Bofors.

That's sort of what I did with the anti-torpedo boat guns.

> This was after FB2 was out, and I was disappointed with the absence of
> KV integral armor, as I had been looking forward to it.

I looked up my copy of MT (I never did play KV before FB2). Integral
armour is just screens that can't be taken out by a threshold check.
Funny enough, this is _exactly_ what I came up with to represent armour
in _Full Steam_.

> The way we treat it is that each level of IA uses 5% of the ship's
MASS
> per level, with a minimum of 4 MASS per level, and costs 4 pts per
> MASS.  If you feel this is too cheap, you can always raise the minimum
> to 5 MASS per level and the cost to 5 pts per MASS.

I didn't bother coming up with a point or mass system. Instead I worked
out a way of creating a ship based on historical data. Since it's a
historical game, I don't have to worry about coming up with a ship
design system.

> So unlike MT armor, it can be lost.

That's an interesting idea, though not realistic for the Russo-Japanese
War period. McCulley's report shows the location where shots hit several
of the Russian ships. At no time did a shot hit the same location twice,
so the idea of degrading armour just doesn't fit this era.

> PS The K-gun & IA conversion was never ment to represent real world
wet
> navies, just "inspired by" -type spaceships.

Those are some interesting ideas, though.

--
Allan Goodall		   agoodall@att.net
http://www.hyperbear.com   agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII Next: [GZG] Keeping games moving Re: After Con Report - ECC VII