Prev: RE: Laserlight's FT Lite Next: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:15:27 -0600
Subject: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

>At least we arn't as bad as the Welsh...

With a name like Evans, you don't think I have a clue? ;->=

However, it was Allan's

'Of course Scotland has it's fair share of strange place names, but they
aren't so much "overly endowed" with letters as they are hard for the
non-Scot to pronounce, like Drumnadrochit and Auchterarder.'

comment that made me wince a bit. Welsh seems to use a heck of a lot
letters, keeping most in the pronouncing.

>Not to mention weirdnesses like "St. John" being pronounced "sin-jin".

Oh, thank you! I'd heard sin-jin on TV, and, in context, assumed it was
actually Indian, picked up in 'the Raj'.

I love things sent us by the BBC, but it keeps rubbing my nose in just
how
parochial I am, even as to my heritage. It's worse on the other side; I
have to take DW in English.

Best consider breaking this off as meandering OT, or we'll start looking
at
how German does with words what Welsh and Scotish do with letters. And
then
there are those Russian paragraphs... ;->=

The_Beast

Prev: RE: Laserlight's FT Lite Next: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite