Prev: RE: UN ships online eh? Next: UNSC Beta Test Page Updated

Re: UN ships online eh?

From: Andrae Muys <andrae.muys@b...>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:42:05 +1000
Subject: Re: UN ships online eh?

Phillip Atcliffe wrote:
> I initially took it to mean one icon = one shot, but wondered about
> that when this discussion began. From an operational POV, I have to
> wonder why the UNSC would put weapons like that on ships like the Sol
> class, types which are intended for extended cruises. I can see them
> using such weapons in ships which, say, cruise around Core World
space,
> but on their long-range stuff? Hope they have really, really good
> supply lines...

Easy enough to PSB though.  The use of the word torpedo suggests that
they aren't single-shot.  However as suggested, they may not be
reloadable during a battle.  Possible options include:

Assume the antimatter is generated onboard, however it requires either a

substantial proportion of the ships energy budget to do so; or the
main-drive/reactor must be run in a configuration incompatible with
normal thrust.	The AMT limit on the SSD would represent the anti-matter

storage capacity.

If it takes anytime for AMT's to be prepared, perhaps missles are preped

in anticpation of battle; possibly to be jetisoned if unused (hard to
safely dispose of anti-matter onboard).  In this case the AMT's listed
on the SSD would represent the 'primed storage' capacity.

Note that both cases provide additional fodder for scenarios where an
AMT equiped UN ship is ambushed while prepping or restocking it's AMT
supply.  The latter also provides for emergency jetisoning on a
threshold check if AMT's should require a minor disadvantage for tuning.

ie. AMT's would not be repairable (the torp's have been jetisoned, and
even if you repair the tubes, they can't be restocked without leaving
the battle).

Just some options, PSB is fun ;)

Andrae

--
  Andrae Muys	 <andrae.muys@braintree.com.au>
  Engineer	 Braintree Communications

Prev: RE: UN ships online eh? Next: UNSC Beta Test Page Updated