Prev: RE: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion Next: Re: (FT) small vs large ships, was YAFS

Re: [semi OT, FH] Mine detecting plants

From: ludo toen <ludo.toen@p...>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 06:05:46 +0100
Subject: Re: [semi OT, FH] Mine detecting plants

As someone who works in this field I'm rather skeptical about all these
lab grown ideas.
As the article states they do not know how much gas the plant needs to
turn red. I would imagine that a waterproofed (and thus sealed) mine
would release very high quantities of that gas. And what other sources
can produce the same gas? There must be other nitrate based stuff in the

ground that might give of the same gas.
Would like to see the chemical formula of the special fertilizer too. If

there's nitrogen in it somwhere....

Nothing beats a good detector, a fresh set of batteries and a patient
and methodical approach of the problem.

Ludo

Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

>G'day,
>
>Just found this in my "Nature" journal articles this morning. The
question is who would volunteer to do the watering?!