Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1887 Next: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:03:23 +1100
Subject: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

Imre Szabo wrote:

>>	 A ship may only be attacked by fighters from a
>>	 single carrier in any given turn. This limit does
>>	 not apply to fighter vs fighter dogfights, or if
>>	 the ship is asteroid sized or larger.
>
>The problem with this is that it means that the fighter groups of
battle
>dreadnoughts aren't useful for anything except deffensive purposes.

 Yes. The small fighter groups are good for defensive purposes
 and for beating up destroyers or light cruisers. Not as good
 as a carrier for offensive purposes, but, well, I don't see
 that as a major disadvantage. Small carriers have the same
 problem.

>The general agreement is that each FT turn is about ten minutes.  Let's
>assume this is way too much.  Even at two minutes per turn, there is
more
>then enough time for successive waves.

 Chris Ronnfeldt wrote something similar. OK, the PSB reason
 doesn't work. Doesn't matter. What's important is whether
 the mechanism works to correct the imbalance. If it does we
 can think of another PSB reason, or just say "because".

>> Big battles with Fleet Book ships: this is where the problem
>> seems to be worst and this rule is most effective. You can
>> still have huge numbers of fighters, but won't be able to
>> annihilate even  big ships in a single turn.
>
>By requiring that fighters be feed into a meat grinder a little at a
time.
>Not very appealing.  The fix for the fleet book ships is to allow some
form
>of integrated defensive fire.

 No, it does not require the fighters to be fed into a meat
 grinder a little at a time. If you have say five Ark Royals,
 you can't hit one enemy ship with 180 fighters. But you can
 hit five enemy ships with 36 fighters each.

	Cheers,
	Hugh

Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1887 Next: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion