Prev: Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry Next: Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry

Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:56:30 -0500
Subject: Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry

At 10:35 AM -0600 11/26/03, Don M wrote:
>The Berets are nice and useful for head wear when
>in an AFV (I wear a RAC beret when I drive my
>Ferret or Dingo around) but US troops are big on
>their CVCs and being safe over looking smart
>(something that hurts us on peace keeping as it
>puts the locals off).
>
>*Prefer my kevlar CVC to a bullet in my Beret!

Granted, but in some sitiations it's not really warranted. I've heard
of several instances where our guys have shown up looking ready for
battle and it changed the situation. Whereas the Brits (who have more
than a few bits of experience in that sort of thing) showed up in
lighter kit with berets (armed still) and were able to calm the
situation down.

Now, in combat, sure. Wear that CVC or Kevlar, but in peacekeeping it
might be better. Same thing goes for road marches.

>Beret's are useful for AFV
>ops as you can be comfortable and have head cover
>that still works with headsets.
>
>*See above......)

See above as well. :-)

>I also can't stand the exacting way in which all
>the beret's must be set up. (we'll after seeing
>nearly 50 years of photos of the Brits, it's
>funny to see how my fellow countrymen wear them,
>there's got to be at least one chap wearing it at
>a "jaunty" angle!)
>
>* Wont survive we NCOs........)

That's the funny thing about WWII. THe NCO's and officers were the
ones leading the way on deviation from norm. But then the British
army as a non regular army at the time (many citizen soldiers) had
more wiggle room for how you wore your beret or Fields service when
walking out.

Note the inspection by Montgomery himself and the various angles the
berets are in.
http://www.freakchylde.net/~15recce/photos/scotslionphotos/15rpic06.html

Note, 15 Recce was a fighting unit that was on the sharp end of the
stick from the Odon Battles to V-E day.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry Next: Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry