Prev: Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault Next: Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry

Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry

From: "Don M" <dmaddox1@h...>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:35:25 -0600
Subject: Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry

Don't most of those Generals have Elite/Airborne origins?

*From the last 25 or 30 years yes but, before that no, also
Airborne isn't really considered Elite as much as an extra
qualification (other than by the people in the units that is).
Rangers and SF are considered the Elite. We even have
presidental guards unit (called the Old Guard) that has a
more or less Elite status as well. But nothing compared to
other nations in number and history etc.

Well, the weird thing is that with the British
system you end up with elite units all around (or
at least better than average). The various light
infantry units (Highland Light Infantry, KOYLI,
etc), the Parachute Regiment, the Royal Green
Jackets, the Various Guards units, the Household
Cavalry, etc.

*There is something to be said for tradition.

The Berets are nice and useful for head wear when
in an AFV (I wear a RAC beret when I drive my
Ferret or Dingo around) but US troops are big on
their CVCs and being safe over looking smart
(something that hurts us on peace keeping as it
puts the locals off).

*Prefer my kevlar CVC to a bullet in my Beret!

Beret's are useful for AFV
ops as you can be comfortable and have head cover
that still works with headsets.

*See above......)

I also can't stand the exacting way in which all
the beret's must be set up. (we'll after seeing
nearly 50 years of photos of the Brits, it's
funny to see how my fellow countrymen wear them,
there's got to be at least one chap wearing it at
a "jaunty" angle!)

* Wont survive we NCOs........)

Prev: Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault Next: Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry