Prev: RE: Fleet Replenishment tenders Next: RE: [FT] Using Sculpy to build ships with

Re: [FT] Tenders? RE: Fleet Replenishment tenders

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:46:47 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Tenders? RE: Fleet Replenishment tenders

At 10:05 AM -0600 11/24/03, Doug Evans wrote:
>Just for clarity, does tender 'tend' to be for a particular target
vessel,
>such as a submarine or destroyer tender, with general supplies, and
other
>ships toward particular functions, such at oiler and ammunition ship?

Depends. In WWII, it was a ship that could drop anchor in an
un-improved area and had all that was necessary for servicing
Submarines (or some other type that it's equipped for) in the middle
of no-where. It could have been a PT boat tender, a DD tender, etc.
Basically, all the things that cant be fixed on the tended vessel are
able to be fixed on the tender with built in shops, what can't be
fixed is either requiring a dry dock or is a part that they can carry.

In FT terms, this would be for System Defense craft either as a
supply point for them or as portion of the supply tail for a larger
jump capable vessel class.

The idea is that if you can push rear area type repair facilities out
to where your vessels are working and fighting, you can get them to
spend more time in the fight and less time transiting to rear areas
to get major repairs, spare parts and problems resolved that they
cannot perform themselves. Remember, Naval Vessels are kind of a
mobile base in and of themselves, but their mission limits the amount
of spare parts and armament they can carry. A Tender would of course
also carry consumables, but it's main purpose is to supply repair
facilities in the middle of nowhere. Military Supply vessels
(combination Tanker/Ammunition/Supply ships) can carry out the more
mundane task of transferring consumables underway or at anchor in the
middle of nowhere.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: RE: Fleet Replenishment tenders Next: RE: [FT] Using Sculpy to build ships with