Prev: Re: (FT) Japanese Fleet Concept Next: Re: [FT] Tenders? RE: Fleet Replenishment tenders

RE: Fleet Replenishment tenders

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:35:49 -0500
Subject: RE: Fleet Replenishment tenders

At 4:52 PM +0100 11/24/03, Büky Ákos wrote:
>First of all ? Thanks for all the enlightening inputs!
>
>I?ve checked out the www.fas.org - under the US Navy, actually several
>types were listed: some to ammunition, some to fuel, and there was
>even type for repairing ships.
>If time permits I?ll try to check it out more throughly.

Also check out http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/

There's a large number of logistics ships that
the USN has on standby for the requirement to go
over shores or work in un-improved ports.
Further, ships for transporting vehicle cargo
normally in peace time are contracted as standby
for additional transport capacity.

Container Ships that can unload themselves and
another ship berthed right next to them.

Flo-Flos or Float on Float off ships that can
transport lighters, harbor tugs and other craft
from one strategic location to another (how do
you get the extra interface craft that you can
need for a military port to the new system?)

Lift-On Lift-Off ships for carry similar light
harbor transport and smaller vessels

Ro-Ro ships, Roll-On Roll-OffVehicel dock ships
capable of transporting large numbers of
vehicles. Pull up to some kind of quay and roll
them off. Or move them to lighters that the ship
can carry and launch with it's built in cranes

LASH Barge ships capable of carrying large cargo
type barges to other ports unloading them there
to allow them to be towed in to shore. The
pre-loaded cargo barges can be off-loaded by the
ship rather quickly and hustled to shallow
un-loading points by harbor tugs brought by the
above ships.

Crane Ships that have large long boom cranes
capable of unloading other vessels and handling
other heavy lifting tasks that shore cranes would
normally handle.

Many of the above types combine Fuel, Containers
and un-crated vehicle loads as combinations of
equipment with helicopter landing pads as an
additional method of moving supplies off ship.
All are characterized by being able to unload
themselves with little additional shore services
that many more basic civilian ships require. This
of course does not include the Gator Carriers and
other Military Logistics ships we already talk
about.

Then there are all the general cargo, container
and bulk fuel ships that can be handled by the
equipment.

One day, I'd love to run a scenario where you
have to move all these kinds of vessels in and
run an operation to land troops. A table nearby
would have the landing areas run in DirtSide
scenarios and another table would show the map of
the system with rules for handling where task
forces and pickets moved around.

--
  Ryan Gill		 rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		  |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |	|	  |	    /_8[*]°_\
  '60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '43 Humber MkIV (1/2)

Prev: Re: (FT) Japanese Fleet Concept Next: Re: [FT] Tenders? RE: Fleet Replenishment tenders