Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: John and Imre....was: weapons

Re: [SG2] weapons

From: "Matt Tope" <mptope@o...>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:00:00 -0000
Subject: Re: [SG2] weapons

Alan Brain wrote;

>From: "Matt Tope" <mptope@omnihybrid.com>

>> Regarding PD/AD fire against shells in ballistic arcs, in the 1970's
when
>> the Royal Navy was testing Sea Wolf PD missile system, they managed
>> intercept a 4.5" shell in flight with a sea wolf missile. Granted the
test
>> was no doubt undertaken in ideal conditions, but it would seem to
indicate
>> (to me anyway) that in the future vehicle mounted anti artilery/RR
systems
>> would be more than possible and deployed into service.

>A mate of mine is ex-RN, and he was exec on the ship in question.

>According to him it was a demonstration of super-advanced British
>technology. The ability of their 4.5" guns to destroy a missile with a
single
>shot *even when fired before the missile was launched*.

LOL!

The ultimate in smart weapons technology, precognitive artillery!

Of the course the latest in super-advanced British technology is the
"Amazing shrinking aircraft carrier", starts off at a modest 50,000
tonnes,
just add a soupcon of procurement process and bingo, now its 20,000
tonnes.
Still, at least it's not super-advanced French technology with their
"Amazing decent sized nuclear aircraft carrier with sudden detachable
propellor syndrome".

Regards,

Matt Tope

Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: John and Imre....was: weapons