Prev: Re: Matrix Revolution and StarGrunt/Dirtside Next: [FH] IF names and future tech

RE: Stars Wars FT SSDs

From: Tim Bancroft <tim@d...>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:10:45 -0000
Subject: RE: Stars Wars FT SSDs

>Dean Gundberg said: The designs I did were all based on my
interpretation
of the Star Wars
>universe.  Other than the Death Stars, I never saw really big, really
long
>range beams being used.

Yeah, cheers, Dean: I wondered if that's why you did them that way.
I'll
also use
the latest Ion Cannon rules (2003) as they seemed to shift from 10" to
otherwise
being as B2/B3 and seem cleaner than the earlier versions (those in the
archives).
The simple shift to having 12 Tie's in a squadron acting as 6 other
fighters is, if you
don't mind me saying so, a "nice" and appropriate abstraction.	Thanks.
 The simpler
sets of fighter rules (Dean/Brendans mix) appear to be most useful to
me.

Thanks also to Brendan - another usable interpretation, and also for the

Interdictor class/GWP.

I'll get some Visio SSD components up unless someone's got some already.

>Dean: You are free to have your own interpretation though and have fun
playing with those
>designs.

Thanks for your blessing :-) I will, indeed: most of it's already loaded

into my own spreadsheet for ship calculation!

What appears to be common across all the designs is that :
(A) the space for embarked ships or tender bays other than fighter bays
is
not allocated (e.g. shots at start of New Hope),
(B) the space for the landing shuttles and Stormtroopers (passengers?
Hold?)/ surface vehicles (also Hold?) also isn't allocated,
(C) Tractors weren't specifically addressed (I'm looking at some of the
suggestions on the archive). They appear to be fairly close range in SW
except where the DS is concerned...(which I don't intend to have
on-table!).
(D) The ships were all scaled in line with each other very nicely but
otherwise appear to be "quite small" compared with how they appear in
the
films/universes.

Am I missing something or is simply that the ground troops, bays, and
scale
was adapted for usability and playbalance in the games in which they
were
used?

On the designs for the Victory I's, there are either Pulse Torps or SM
magazines fitted - if trying to expand a bit further, should these be a
shorter range missile, btw? (Pulses being 30 and SMs 36?)

Tim Bancroft

Prev: Re: Matrix Revolution and StarGrunt/Dirtside Next: [FH] IF names and future tech