Prev: Re: Matrix Revolution and StarGrunt/Dirtside Next: Re: Matrix Revolution and StarGrunt/Dirtside

Re: Matrix Revolution and StarGrunt/Dirtside

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:13:23 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Matrix Revolution and StarGrunt/Dirtside

Heh.  I brought it up to my girlfriend and she said, "That's really
lame.
If they can build those things, they should be able to armor the
pilots."

I'll admit to never having played SG, but have thought about how to
model
such... um... *tactics* in DSII.  And I don't think that DSII would
model
the problems very well. :(

The biggest problem that I've read about concerning "massed infantry"
tactics is that bullets do not discriminate, and if they miss the guy
you
aimed at, there is a very high chance that someone else will catch it.

Since DSII works on "stands firing at stands" there is no chance of
direct
fire splashing into another stand (except for medium and long range SLAM
shots!).  Thus, whereas an APSW blazing away at a mass of tightly packed
infantry in the real world would just cream them by dozens, in DSII, it
would only be able to take out one stand per round of firing, at the
maximum.

OTOH, if you have artillery available, those poor sods lined up shoulder
to shoulder are going to suffer horribley.

<shrug>

John K. Lerchey
Computer and Network Security Coordinator
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Doug Evans wrote:

> ***
> Don't forget to compound the issue by providing the
> humans with armor support in the form of
> uber-high-tech Walkers that carry absolutely no
> frontal armor for the pilot....
> ***
>
> My girlfriend was asking about that; I just got a thoughtful,
patronizing
> look and said 'you wouldn't understand...'
>
> The_Beast
>
> PS If you think I'd EVER treat my SO like that, you sadly
underestimate my