Prev: FYI: A Suprisingly Good Sci-Fi Book Next: [FT] Reasonance Weapon

Re: FYI: A Suprisingly Good Sci-Fi Book

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:33:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FYI: A Suprisingly Good Sci-Fi Book

Here's another recommend I've been meaning to drop on the list: Ken
McLeod.

If you're an Iain M. Banks fan, I think you'll like McLeod. He's insane,
Scottish, and writes mind-warping, very original SF...

He's up to seven books now, all set in more or less the same universe
(maybe). The first quartet he calls the "Fall Revolution" group: "The
Star
Fraction", "The Stone Canal", "The Cassini Division" & "The Sky Road".

These four are linked, but you can read them in any order, pretty much.
started with "Sky Road" and more or less worked my way backwards...

His 2nd trilogy is "The Engines of Light": "Cosmonaut Keep", "Dark
Light",
"Engine City". These're much more closely linked, forming a proper
trilogy
rather than a suite of books.

The plots are political, complex, and excellent. He's also markedly left
wing, which is a relief from all the right-wing political SF out
there...
it's a pretty realistic, dystopic future tho... Lots of fun.

I gather McLeod has been available in the UK for quite a while now, but
first saw his books here in Canada last year. Worth looking up!

(Not much gaming content in them, though. FMA skirmish stuff, maybe.
Just
very good reads!)

Brian.

Prev: FYI: A Suprisingly Good Sci-Fi Book Next: [FT] Reasonance Weapon