Prev: Re: (FT,SG) News Break Next: Re: [FT] Fleet Book1 SSDs

Re: (FT,SG) News Break

From: FlakMagnet72 <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:27:54 -0400
Subject: Re: (FT,SG) News Break

I was musing to a friend of mine (and a bit of a WWII guru) about how to

modify the artillery rules from a game intended for 15mm skirmish down
squad-level (for infantry, vehicles would have been 1:1) for use with
6mm
miniatures for playtesting and just because my 6mm collection is more
than my
15mm expansive and actually painted.  Enough about that.

My point (aside from the one on the top of my head) was that my friend
basically suggested that is wasn't that big of a deal.	Artillery is, in
his
view, something that ought not to show up too much in games where you
have
relatively small forces per side.  It makes sense too.	If an attempt is
made
to model arty with anything resembling realism then in FMA (or just
about any
skirmish) games your poor ground-pounders are pretty much toast.  He
then
went on to educate me as to which artillery assets were available at
which
organizational levels for different WWII-era forces.

I can certainly see where he was coming from there.  Realistic arty, in
small-unit actions can dominate a game.  I think arty is one of the
biggest
things that betrays wargames for what they are for a lot of people:  An
opportunity to play with cool models/toys.  The desire to bring all of
the
big toys to the table is what drives the relatively inaccurate and
less-lethal artillery rules present in most games.  If it was modeled
realistically, the amount of arty on the average wargaming table would
crushing for both/either side.

I know _I_ LIKE to drop artillery all over a table (hopefully on the
other
side's troops).  I also know that I'd like it a lot less if it was so
accurate and lethal that "he who drops arty first wins".  So I don't
mind
fudging for the game's sake, but I do prefer PSB over kludges anyday.

--Tim

+++slight snippage for brevity+++

--
--Tim
http://geocities.com/flakmagnet72

Prev: Re: (FT,SG) News Break Next: Re: [FT] Fleet Book1 SSDs