Prev: Re: Happy Birthday, USA Next: Re: Happy Birthday, USA

[OT] Closing replies Re: Happy Birthday, USA

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 08:34:18 -0500
Subject: [OT] Closing replies Re: Happy Birthday, USA

>Canada's 'birthday' is July 1st (yes, it was us this week too...), and
that
>celebrates, quite literally, the 'birth of the nation' - Confederation,
>when the separate British colonies that became Canada (well, the first
>ones... more joined later) all signed up - July 1, 1867.

This one's an embarrassment; I could have sworn it was the end of July.
figured I'd be celebrating with some of the list folks that would make
it
all the way down to Indianapolis.

On the other hand, I usually figure to cover most of the bases with best
wishes on Boxing Day, one that we oldest breakaway colonists still don't
'get'.

On the third hand, the Brits and Germans (and French and Dansk and
Svensk
and..., though I've not noticed them posting lately) could start
bringing
up their own dates to recall how childishly young our countries are.
;->=

>Speaking of Confederation, Canada's last joinee was Newfoundland, which
was
>a separate independent British colony until 1949.

Does that help explain Newfie jokes?

Natch, as Hawaii became a state in 1959, if you're counting from last
acquisition, Canada is ten years older than the USA...

>I am English and therefore Bi-lingual English and FORIEGN.

Yet something else we think we invented but was in place for a long time
elsewhere. ;->=

Thanks again, all. Continued patience while we struggle with this whole
'world citizen' thing is GREATLY appreciated.

The_Beast

PS By oldest friends, inspite of recent brough-ha-ha's, many of us
haven't
forgotten from whence came one of our favorite birthday gifts, Lady
Liberty...

Prev: Re: Happy Birthday, USA Next: Re: Happy Birthday, USA